The Middle School is a place where people’s feelings, morals and values need to be respected at all times. This means that because it is a formal place of learning, the learning environment, both in and out of classrooms is important for our success. Therefore:
· Clothing choice that causes disruption or provides the opportunity for a health and safety issue at school will not be permitted.
Clothing that is distracting to others or disrupts the climate of the middle school is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to
· Short shorts, cropped tops, see-through attire, boxer shorts, pajamas, and garments which display inappropriate messages (e.g. alcohol, tobacco, drugs, death, satanic or demonic messages, violence, etc).
· Any attire that shows bare shoulders or midriffs, or clothing that reveals undergarments is not acceptable. This includes tube tops, net tops, halter tops, spaghetti straps, plunging necklines (front and/or back), and see through clothing. As well as clothing worn inappropriately, (unbuttoned to the point of immodesty, too tight, see through, too low cut, etc.)
· Any student whose attire is considered distracting, disruptive or unsafe in the school environment may be removed from class until the clothing is modified or changed, if necessary, by replacing it with an acceptable item. Any students refusing to comply with the request of the administrator shall be subject to discipline at the discretion of school administration. It’s that important.
· Chains, including “chokers”, dog chains, wallet chains, etc. are considered dangerous and not appropriate for a safe school environment. Wallet chains and chains hanging from belt loops are not allowed.
· No head coverings should be worn in the building during school hours.
· Outerwear including coats, bulky outerwear, jackets, scarves, gloves and sunglasses are not to be worn during school hours.
· Shoes must be worn at all times.
· Any clothing that has the appearance of or relates to gang activity or involvement is clearly forbidden at school as this is in direct violation of our school mission statement and strongly impacts how students learn and staff may teach.· Hats may be worn to school, but not in school and must remain in the lockers throughout the school day.Extremely informal clothing such as pajamas and tank top undershirts are consided both distracting and inappropriate for a middle school setting.