January 22, 2018
Dear Parents, Guardians and Newark Middle School Students!
Thank you for your interest in this year’s spring musical, James and the Giant Peach, Jr.! We are very excited to have the opportunity to work with you. Please take a moment to read about our expectations for participation in this year’s production.
Producing theatre is a collaborative and creative process. As a member of the cast or crew you will have the opportunity to learn about many different aspects of theatre. Set, costume, and prop building will be integrated into the rehearsal process. Theatre develops confidence, creative problem solving skills, time management, adaptability, self discipline, presentation skills...and most importantly, it’s fun!
Theatre also takes dedicated rehearsal time to prepare. Rehearsals for this year’s production will run Monday through Thursday evenings 5:00-7:00pm, starting with auditions on Monday March 4. Not every actor will be called every evening. We are working on a rehearsal plan that only calls actors when they are needed for work on a particular scene or work on a technical aspect. It is important that we are aware of any conflicts at the time of auditions. We will not be holding rehearsals over spring break.
Attendance the final two weeks of rehearsal are crucial and mandatory (April 8, 9, 10, 11, 22, 23, 24, 25). Performances are Friday evening April 26 and Saturday afternoon April 27.
As noted above, auditions will take place the first evening, Monday March 4 at 5:00-7:00pm. Students interested in positions on the crew must also attend Monday March 4.
Auditions will consist of group exercises, a short dance combination, and ensemble singing. This will be followed by individual auditions. Actors interested in performing in the cast will be asked to sing a short selection and read a small excerpt from the script. This material is included in this packet.
On Tuesday March 5 we will begin rehearsals with everyone called for a read through. Please see the attached rehearsal schedule for the remaining commitment.
Cast and crew members are responsible for knowing when they are called to rehearsal. Cast members are also responsible for being “off book” (all lines and lyrics memorized) by April 8. This will require work outside the rehearsal time. Directors will be providing tools to assist with this work.
Rehearsals, including auditions, are closed events.
Please complete the Information Form and bring it with you on March 4. This form must be signed by a parent/guardian in order to participate.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions. We look forward to working with you on this year’s production.
Miss. Emily Howard Miss. Lara Larsson Mr. Stefan Uveges
Artistic Director Music Director Assistant Director
(315) 857-3265 email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must come to rehearsals every time you are called. If you cannot come call/text/email/notify through REMIND.
- Be on time.
- Give 100% at rehearsals.
- Have an open mind and listen to what the directors tell you. Be willing to try new things!
- Memorize your script as soon as possible. You MUST be memorized by April 8.
- Treat others the way you want to be treated- this means being SILENT while backstage, as well as when directors are giving directions.
- NO FOOD OR DRINK IN AUDITORIUM SEATS! Only water in closeable water bottles is allowed.
- Come prepared to rehearsal- script, pencil, proper shoes, water.
- Clean up after yourself.
- Do not touch anything that isn’t yours - body parts, costumes, props, food, scripts, etc.